- Size: 85 cm (at shoulder)
- Weight: Male -: 60 Kg, Female -: 70 – 80 Kg (largest of the 2 sexes)
- Lifespan: 20 years
- Gestation: 16 weeks ( 4 months)
- The spotted hyena is the most successful large carnivore in Africa.
- They are proficient hunters and scavengers, with a lot of stamina showing, to take food away from other predators.
- It is the only mammal, able to digest bones, which it crushes – easily in its powerful jaws- and thereby extract calcium and protein.
- Hyena’s are extremely mobile, and can travel up to 70 km per night – to access food.
Reference “(Game Ranger in Your Backpack) (Megan Emmett / Sean Pattrick) ”
Photo : Altha Stiehler